Fr. Robert M. Hussey, SJ, the Provincial of the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, has decided to close the Jesuit Center for Spiritual Growth, effective August 2021. Fr. Hussey announced his decision on 29 May 2020 in a letter to the Province. You may read Fr. Hussey’s letter, accompanying FAQs, and Br. Derby’s letter of response here.
While we are sorrowful at the decision, we are focused on the remaining time of ministry here in Wernersville. As much as possible in this pandemic, the Jesuit Center will be offering retreats, days of prayer, and other programs for spiritual renewal, and hosting groups, through August 2021. You can see our 2020-2021 program calendar here.
During this time of pandemic, the Jesuit Center for Spiritual Growth has allotted periods of time each month to welcome individuals who wish to make a private retreat. Time periods set aside for private retreat include:
• October 26 to November 5, 2020
• November 16 to 23, 2020
• December 1 to 7, 2020
• More dates TBA
Registrations for private retreat are to be made with Andrew Dotter, Assistant to the Registrar. The cost is $100 per overnight.
Due to COVID-19, we are observing health and safety protocols, which may be found here. We have also made some modifications to the registration process:
• First, all in-house retreatants are pre-screened by our registration staff for health & safety readiness. See our protocols for details.
• Second, we require retreatants to provide full contact information, including current address and best means of contact (phone number, email, or both), as well as the name and phone number of your emergency contact.
• Third, we have established check-in and check-out times. Please plan on arriving between 2 PM and 5 PM on the first day of your stay and departing by 10 AM on the last day of your stay. This allows us time to properly clean and sanitize each room.
• Fourth, we will screen all retreatants daily, following our established health & safety protocols. This process includes a temperature check, as well as responses to basic health questions. Please come to the lobby each morning between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM for your screening. This process is mandatory for your stay here.
• Fifth, we now require private retreatants to make your payment before their arrival. This will help streamline the check-in process. Please note that preferred payment methods are check or credit/debit card.
The essence of a private retreat has not changed. You will be free to use all common rooms in the house (while respecting Jesuit Community & staff rooms), including our Bookstore, Art Room, and Library, and encouraged to explore the house and grounds as usual. Dining times remain the same (though meals will be served, and we will observe physical distancing) and daily Mass will be offered (with masks and proper physical distancing).
Please note that we cannot accommodate requests for specific bedrooms at this time.
We hope to welcome you to the Jesuit Center soon for your private retreat. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to Andrew Dotter.
Assistant to the Registrar
After you register, you'll be instructed to make your deposit and/or pay your final cost.